Each year, about 3,300 children in the U.S. under the age of 5 are injured from falling out of a window (Statistic from Safe Kids Worldwide). Window falls usually cause severe brain injuries and some even result in death. As window covering specialists, we install child safe window treatments on a daily basis and feel the need to share child window safety tips.
Here are a few tips from Legacy Health to implement if you have children living in or visiting the home:
- Keep play away from windows
- Install window stops and only allow windows to open 4”. Be sure to install guards that can be removed by an adult in an emergency.
- Lock windows when not in use
- Open windows from the top and use window stop for bottom
- Prevent climbing. Keep furniture and anything a child can climb on away from windows
- Actively watch children near windows
- Choose a cordless operation (they often do not add cost at Koeber's!)
- If cords are necessary, choose a continuous cord loop and assure the loop is always attached to the window frame or wall
- Actively watch children near shades with cords