After investing in new carpet, it is important to maintain it. With easy and regular care, your carpet will look great for many years. Here’s a few simple tips:
- Vacuuming your carpet thoroughly and frequently is the most important step in caring for your carpet.
- Use only a quality vacuums (see CRI vacuum list for suggestions.) Be sure to check the height of the beaters to ensure the carpet is not damaged by excessive beating. Empty dust collection bags frequently and replace filters as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Vacuum at least weekly. High traffic areas may need it more often (even daily if soiled heavily).
- Pass over the soiled areas 3-5 times in lightly soiled areas and 5-7 times in heavily soiled, high traffic spots
- Vacuum against the pile direction first to lift matting and loosen dirt particles. Then follow up by vacuuming in the direction of the pile to finish.
- Depending on usage, carpet should be professionally steam cleaned every 12-15 months. This is required to maintain a carpet manufacturer’s warranty.
- Steam cleaning (hot water extraction) should only be done by a professional.
- Shampooing or steaming do it yourself treatments are not recommended.
- Call Koeber’s for recommended professional carpet cleaners
- Clean up spills immediately to prevent the stain from getting into the carpet fiber.
- If a hot spill occurs, try to clean up before the liquid cools or dries.
- Avoid use of bleach and other chemical products on your carpet. They can permanently discolor, or dissolve carpet.
- Koebers recommends Nylac carpet cleaner. If this spot cleaner does not lift the stain, leave it to a professional to handle.
- Use furniture coasters or pads on legs and castors to avoid pressure marks.
- Place door mats at exterior doorways.
- Use rugs to protect carpet in high traffic areas.
- Avoid letting carpet sit in direct sunlight for long periods of time with blinds from Koebers